Government House in Wellington is a large, two-storeyed house, with a grand staircase, dozens of large and small rooms, long corridors and a flag tower.
It was built between 1908 and 1910. The first vice-regal resident was Lord Islington, Governor from 1910 to 1912. The house has eight guest suites, a self-contained apartment for the Governor-General and her spouse, as well as a ballroom, conservatory, sitting rooms, service rooms, kitchens and a wing of offices. The House has a floor area of about 4,200 square metres. The grounds cover about 12 hectares, including flat lawns and gardens, and steep hillside. Exotic species of trees are increasingly being complemented by trees and shrubs native to New Zealand. This is a highly regarded activity on Tripadvisor that not many people know about. Bookings essential and there is a security protocol – contact the visitor team.